LADY Luck did not smile on York Schoolboys Under-15s in the English Schools FA Cup as they lost 3-2 at home to Huddersfield in round two.

Trailing 3-1, York pulled one back late on and, after Joe Nash and Ben Calam were denied by the keeper, they came within inches of a last-gasp equaliser as Luke Jones cut the ball across goal, with no-one able to knock it home.

Manager Alan Oliver said: "Each player played really well - we just didn't take those chances and Lady Luck wasn't on our side. We played some great football again, though."

Both teams started brightly, with York having an early goal ruled out for offside.

Strikers Nash and Jones combined to create the next real chance but Jones’ shot was well saved.

Seconds later, Joseph Hodge at the other end had to dive low to his right to tip a shot around a post. From the corner, Calam cleared off the line.

Later, a driving run down the right by Calam released Jones, whose shot narrowly missed the top left corner. Otherwise defences were on top, Louis Jarvis giving a man-of-the-match display for York.

Huddersfield forced replacement keeper Nathan Storr into a save at the start of the second half.

However, at the other end, Harvey Stephenson saw a low drive tipped wide and, from Calam's corner, Elliot Oliver guided the ball in to break the deadlock.

Huddersfield upped their work rate, and equalised when heading in a free-kick.

Calam forced another save but then a cross at the other end was misjudged by Storr and the visitors went 2-1 ahead.

Calam again went close before Storr pulled off a one-handed save. York were left ruing missed openings as Huddersfield went 3-1 up as a shot across goal was deflected in.

York got a late lifeline when Liam White and Jones linked up to release Nash, whose first-time shot sailed into the top corner. But no leveller was forthcoming.

York Schoolboys U13s also fell out of the ESFA Cup, after a 2-0 defeat at Darlington.

York went close from an early corner, the ball being cleared off the line, with Tom Coy doing well to neutralise a counter attack.

Archie Colley also had a shot saved before Darlo went close from a rare York mistake.

The hosts gained the upper hand, though, with York rescued a number of times by keeper Josh French-Adam, who was making his full debut.

A one-handed reflex save from close-range, with the keeper also grabbing the ball before it rebounded over the line, was the pick.

The Minster city boys had some counter attacks, the speedy Tommy Cahill going past three players before having his shot saved, before they got more into the game as the first half closed.

They went close after the break, too, as Cahill set up both Kaiden Butler and Dillon Meehan, while Butler had another shot tipped onto a post.

At the other end, man-of-the-match French-Adams pulled off another save while Darlo also hit the bar.

The bigger home side thereafter built pressure again and it finally paid dividends as they scored a penalty.

York battled on but the hosts sealed victory when a shot was parried by the keeper and tapped in, cries for offside being ignored.

York Schoolboys U11s showed great character to come from behind and draw 2-2 in a thriller against Leeds in their toughest test of term.

Both teams went into the game in fine form, with Leeds going close from the off before taking an early two-goal lead.

York got a foothold during the second period, and they halved the deficit after James Rennocks drifted by a defender before drilling the ball across goal where captain Charlie Thompson powered it home.

They levelled after Thompson's pressure won a throw deep in Leeds territory. A cross into the area was cleared to the edge of the box from where Adrian Bajaziti guided the ball into the bottom corner.

The final period was frenetic, both teams having chances to win it.