IN the shadow of Salford’s JCB machinery, York City dug deep to win through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

With one side of the ground in rubble as the ambitious hosts continue to build for the future, Jon Parkin bulldozed his way to a match-winning brace and City fans will now be hoping that their down-to-earth striker has laid the foundations for a run in the competition that had not witnessed a win for the club since 2010.

The performance and result, gained after trailing to Liam Hogan’s header in first-half stoppage time, should also offer encouragement in terms of the Minstermen’s National League North ambitions with the division’s title favourites looking far from intimidating, even allowing for the resting of key players from the start like top-scorer Jack Redshaw.

Salford suffered their first defeat in 11 matches and, even though they hit the crossbar three times during an exciting second period, all those attempts came against the run of play and the visitors had also shaded the opening 45 minutes before Hogan broke the deadlock.

The Lancashire outfit didn’t manage their first shot of the afternoon until the 32nd minute after Gary Mills’ men had imposed themselves on proceedings during the opening exchanges, without ever really threatening to take the lead.

Louis Almond, operating in a free central role behind City front two Parkin and Amari Morgan-Smith, tried his luck from distance twice early on – dragging well wide after a positive run to the edge of the box and only calling home keeper Max Crocombe into a routine save from a little further out.

Just past the quarter-hour mark, Parkin then blazed over from just inside the penalty area with Simon Heslop unmarked to his right after a strong raid down the left by Morgan-Smith.

A Josh Law free kick was also deflected off the defensive wall and over before Hogan drove too high from 30 yards with Salford’s first goal attempt.

Mani Dieseruvwe went on to send a downward header bouncing wide from Scott Burton’s left-wing cross, before the home team forged in front in the second minute of added-on time before the interval.

A floated left-wing free kick from Mark Shelton was met by Hogan at the far post and the Salford skipper headed over Jon Worsnop into the opposite corner.

The second period was a more entertaining affair with Almond curling just wide from 25 yards moments into the restart.

At the other end, meanwhile, Carl Piergianni might have doubled the Ammies’ lead when he rose high to meet Josh Askew’s right-wing free kick, conceded for handball by the yellow-carded Hamza Bencherif, but headed against the bar.

Within seconds, Parkin had levelled the scores on 54 minutes.

Alex Whittle led the charge down the left before play switched to Almond, who swept in a perfect cross from the right that Parkin snaffled up with a firm first-time finish from eight yards to celebrate his 200th career goal in front of the away fans.

Skipper Sean Newton went on to blast just wide from the edge of the penalty area after a lay-off by Morgan-Smith, who also forced a fine save low to his right by Crocombe before Bencherif, on the follow-up, somehow sidefooted across the face of goal from a couple of yards, extending the Frenchman’s long wait for a first goal in Minstermen colours.

Sub Kaine Felix then burst through the right channel but blazed over, before home replacement Redshaw stretched to reach Richie Allen’s left-wing cross, but directed his sidefooted volley against Worsnop’s crossbar.

Redshaw also hit the roof of the stand with a less accurate attempt, while Parkin shot wide after having his second swipe at a Newton long throw and Whittle volleyed out of the ground from 20 yards.

On 74 minutes, Worsnop flung himself to his right to push away a powerful edge-of-the-box drive by Mike Phenix.

Crocombe was less troubled by Theo Wharton, Newton and Whittle efforts, before being completely deceived when Morgan-Smith’s bobbling 15-yard shot deflected off Parkin and spun past him on 85 minutes.

City went on to survive one final scare on 92 minutes when a thumping Lois Maynard strike was pushed on to the bar by Worsnop, leaving the visitors to toast their first FA Cup triumph in 11 ties since a 2-0 win at Darlington, courtesy of Djoumin Sangare and Ashley Chambers goals, just over a month into Mills’ first reign at Bootham Crescent.


Jon Worsnop 8 – made two fine saves to keep Salford at bay on break

Josh Law 7 – kept things tight at back and reliable on the ball

Hamza Bencherif 7 – should have scored his first City goal, but strong defensively

Dan Parslow 8 – swept up well when called upon and commanding in air

Alex Whittle 8 – set a good tempo with his bursts forward

Simon Heslop 7 – plugged away and sensible in possession

Theo Wharton 7 – swamped a little at times but stuck to his task

Sean Newton 7 – sent in some inviting balls from left flank

Louis Almond 7 – delivery for Parkin meant big man didn’t have to break stride

Jon Parkin 8 – his 200th goal could not have been more timely `

Amari Morgan-Smith 8 – constantly involved and purpose to his industry

Substitutes: Kaine Felix 7 – positive (for Almond, 60).

Subs not used: Connor Smith, Jassem Sukar, Sam Muggleton, Ryan Edmondson, Aaron Haswell, Luke Simpson.

City star man: Parkin


Max Crocombe, Mark Shelton, Carl Piergianni, Michael Nottingham, Liam Hogan, Richie Allen (Anthony Dudley, 82), Lois Maynard, Scott Burton, Josh Askew, Dom McHale (Jack Redshaw, 61), Mani Dieseruvwe (Mike Phenix, 61). Subs not used: Ibou Touray, Jake Beesley.

Salford star man: Piergianni – strong presence in home defence

Referee: Thomas Kirk rating: 7/10 – made good strong decisions

Booked: McHale 22, Bencherif 52, Heslop 79

Sent off: None

Attendance: 1,350

Shots on target: Salford 5, City 6

Shots off target: Salford 4, City 11

Corners: Salford 3, City 2

Fouls conceded: Salford 11, City 8

Offside: Salford 0, City 5