YORK City clinched their first win in 19 contests to book their place in the second round of the FA Trophy following a 3-1 home victory over Worcester City.

An early Graham Hutchison own goal gave City the lead and Jon Parkin went on to open his account during a second spell with the club before the quarter-hour mark.

Worcester responded through Junior English on 74 minutes, but a late Rhys Murphy penalty put the tie beyond doubt. City were purposeful from the off and forged ahead in the third minute when Shaun Rooney retrieved a cross from fellow wing-back Alex Whittle.

Rooney’s drilled centre into the six-yard box was then turned sideways by Murphy and the ball struck an unwitting Hutchison before ricocheting into the net.

The Minstermen doubled their advantage on 14 minutes in stylish fashion when Danny Holmes’ forward pass was helped on by Murphy’s clever back heel and, after the ball had looped over the away defence and sat up nicely, Parkin thumped a ten-yard shot past helpless keeper Ethan Ross.

Holmes went on to slice wide from the edge of the box after Parkin had headed down Aarran Racine’s ball forward.

City defender Matt Fry also attacked a Holmes corner but couldn’t direct his near-post header on target.

On the half-hour mark, Worcester lost Colby Bishop, who was joined in the treatment room by one of his stretcher bearers after he slipped, dropped the away striker and then tumbled over again. During the subsequent five minutes of stoppage time, Parkin’s smart dummy and Murphy’s lay-off teed up a 25-yard chance for Sean Newton that he skied over.

The Midland part-timers, meanwhile, mustered their first shot and won a first corner when Tyler Weir’s curling 20-yard attempt was tipped over by City keeper Kyle Letheren.

Within a minute of the restart, Worcester sub Jordan Murphy fired into Letheren’s arms from ten yards following Ebby Nelson-Addy’s through ball after an Adriano Moke slip.

But the hosts got back on top with Whittle seeing a 20-yard effort deflected over at the end of a flowing move and Fry’s downward header from a Holmes corner was saved by Ross.

The away keeper was also equal to an improvised Holmes volley after Whittle’s cross had caused confusion.

An energetic Holmes went on to chase down a ball and deliver an excellent centre in from the right, only for Murphy to mistime his header, leaving Ross with a routine save.

Ross had to be more alert to gather Parkin’s flick-on from a Holmes free kick and the City striker then saw a header loop just over. But, against the run of play, Worcester reduced the deficit when Murphy sent in a right-wing cross that fellow sub English headed firmly past Letheren from eight yards.

City responded with a swift counter attack after Parkin had won a defensive header for a corner but, after sub Aidan Connolly fed Murphy, his deflected shot was gathered by Ross.

At the other end, Micah Evans’ 20-yard drive drifted wide, but the Minstermen made the game safe on 87 minutes when Murphy was tripped by a sliding Tom Sharpe as he bore down on the visitors’ goal having collected Parkin’s intelligent headed flick-on.

Murphy then picked himself up to sidefoot his spot kick down the middle of the goal as Ross dived to his right.