LEYTON Orient meted out some capital punishment as more slip-shod defending saw York City leave London on the receiving end of a sixth successive defeat.

Vadaine Oliver scored a late goal in each half to ensure the final outcome remained respectable but Jay Simpson’s double-strike, following a header by home captain Mathieu Baudry, meant the O’s snaffled up maximum points following a 3-2 triumph.

Just as against Plymouth seven days earlier, a dismal first-half showing had handed the Minstermen’s opponents a significant initiative.

As in that contest, it also took two poorly-conceded goals to prompt a response from a City team that had played with far too much trepidation until that point.

Home midfielder Jack Payne rattled Scott Flinders’ crossbar just 19 seconds into the contest and he was afforded the freedom of Brisbane Road for long periods of that opening 45 minutes, as he pulled the strings, often with no City player within 20 yards of him.

With his team lying so deep, Oliver also cut an isolated figure during the first period and the balls up to him were not of the required quality for City to relieve the pressure with effective counter-attacks.

The visitors’ leading marksman did, however, manage to pull a goal back deep into first-half stoppage time, following Baudry and Simpson’s earlier efforts.

After a second Simpson effort, City went on to finish the match positively as an Orient outfit, low on confidence themselves due to a run of two wins from their last dozen matches, became increasingly anxious.

But, despite Oliver’s 86th-minute header, Jackie McNamara’s men could not recover from a situation that was, familiarly, of their own making.

After Payne had gone close to giving the O’s a whirlwind start following his thumping 25-yard attempt, Sammy Moore shot over from closer in following a weak header by Eddie Nolan.

The Irish right back then redeemed himself by kicking a Simpson drive off the line following Femi Ilesanmi’s mistake.

Such early dominance brought its inevitable reward, however, when Baudry held off the aerial challenge of George Swan to meet John Marquis’ right-wing corner and head over Flinders from ten yards.

Ian Hendon’s men doubled their advantage in the second minute of added-on time at the end of the first half after on-loan Huddersfield defender William Boyle was bullied off the ball by O’s target man Ollie Palmer in the visitors’ penalty box.

Former Millwall attacker Marquis then seized on the loose ball and waltzed his way through City’s right channel far too easily before crossing low to the far post where Simpson tapped in from a couple of yards.

There was still time for the Minstermen to hit back, however, following their first genuine attack of the match.

Oliver beat former on-loan City keeper Alex Cisak with a deflected 20-yard drive after Bryn Morris’ edge-of-the-box effort had been blocked.

After Simpson hooked an early second-half opportunity wide for Orient, Morris also fired over from just outside the penalty box with James Berrett and Michael Coulson having led a forward charge, buoyed by strong vocal support from City’s 581-strong travelling army.

But ex-Arsenal and Hull City hopeful Simpson went on to claim his 13th goal of the campaign on 64 minutes when he was given space and time in the away box before drilling a firm 15-yard shot into Flinders’ bottom-left corner.

The rest of the game, though, belonged to City with Cisak diving low to his left to brilliantly keep out an Oliver downward header after Swan had won a high ball into the box.

Oliver did then go on to beat Cisak on 86 minutes when Berrett sent in a cross from the left byline and the former Crewe striker headed over the one-time Bootham Crescent net-minder.

A dangerous inswinging free kick went on to see both Oliver and substitute Emile Sinclair come within inches of getting a vital touch before bouncing safely into Cisak’s hands.

Oliver also had a 92nd-minute header from Nolan’s right-wing cross saved before McNamara was left to lament his fourth straight loss since taking over the Minstermen reins.


Scott Flinders: 6 – left exposed for all three Orient goals and well beaten

Eddie Nolan: 5 – could have done better or hosts' second two goals and rarely probed down right

George Swan: 5 – held off too easily as Baudry headed in opening goal from corner

William Boyle: 5 – came off second best in battle of strength with Palmer

Femi Ilesanmi: 5 – clumsy during opening exchanges and subdued going forward

Michael Coulson: 6 – quiet afternoon for City skipper before late withdrawal due to hip problem

Jonathan Greening: 6 – showed his quality with a few diagonal passes and his shielding of possession

Ben Godfrey: 5 – found it hard to have any impact on game prior to second-half substitution

James Berrett: 7 – provided assist for second Oliver goal and picked his passes wisely

Bryn Morris: 7 – battled away gamely and not afraid to have a shot on goal

STAR MAN Vadaine Oliver 8 – carried game to hosts and always a goal threat

Substitutes: David Tutonda 6 – eager (for Godfrey, 56), Emile Sinclair 7 - threatening (for Greening, 57), Anthony Straker (for Coulson, 80).

Subs not used: Michael Ingham, Jake Hyde, Michael Collins, Rhys Turner.

Leyton Orient Alex Cisak, Sean Clohessy, Mathieu Baudry (Cole Kpekawa, 25), Jean-Yves M’Voto, Frazer Shaw, Bradley Pritchard (Jobi McAnuff, 82), Jack Payne, Sammy Moore, John Marquis (Blair Turgott, 83), Jay Simpson, Ollie Palmer. Subs not used: Sam Sargeant, Alan Dunne, Lloyd James, Scott Kashket. Leyton Orient star man: Simpson – clinical and came close to a hat-trick

Referee: Lee Collins rating: 7/10 – generally on top of most things

Booked: Berrett 37, Boyle 43, Moore 50, Morris 83.

Attendance: 4,897 (581 from City)

Shots on target: Leyton Orient 7, City 6

Shots off target: Leyton Orient 2, City 1

Corners: Leyton Orient 4, City 3

Fouls conceded: Leyton Orient 8, City 9

Offsides: Leyton Orient 2, City 1