BOGEY side Barnsley beat York City for a seventh successive game to knock Jackie McNamara’s new charges out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

The Minstermen took a first-half lead thanks to Michael Coulson’s sensational free kick against his old club.

But the game’s star performer Adam Hammill set up Ben Pearson for an equaliser midway through the second period and then scored himself with an 84th-minute goal every bit as spectacular as Coulson’s effort.

City have now lost every fixture against the Tykes since January 1977 with no other side in English football responsible for more consecutive defeats.

McNamara made two changes to the side that started Saturday’s 3-2 FA Cup defeat at Accrington with George Swan handed his professional debut and James Berrett back from suspension.

Bryn Morris was absent on England under-20 duty, while Keith Lowe dropped out of the squad altogether.

The hosts made the early running with Hammill hooking an edge-of-the-box effort on to the roof of Scott Flinders’ netting and on-loan Newcastle striker Ivan Toney firing narrowly wide from 20 yards.

After Marvin McCoy received his fifth yellow card of the season, meaning he will be suspended for the Minstermen’s home clash with Plymouth this weekend, Lloyd Isgrove then called Flinders into action from 20 yards and also clipped the top of the visitors’ bar having raced on to Toney’s ball through the right channel.

City’s first shot of the night saw Ben Godfrey test Adam Davies from range on 24 minutes after riding a strong midfield challenge and Coulson went on to have an edge-of-the-box attempt tipped over before opening the scoring in devastating fashion on 40 minutes.

After being bundled over 30 yards from goal, Coulson dusted himself down and hit a screaming effort into Davies’ top-left corner.

Ex-Liverpool hopeful Hammill went on to shoot weakly at Flinders after tricking his way past McCoy and Toney’s 12-yard scissor kick also lacked the power to trouble the City keeper in first-half stoppage time.

Moments after the restart, Flinders pushed behind Craig Mawson’s downward header from a Conor Hourihane right-wing free kick before a 50th-minute injury to Godfrey saw City make a tactical reshuffle, switching to 4-5-1.

On 55 minutes, Reece Wabara sliced woefully wide from the edge of the box for the hosts while Hourihane’s 20-yard attempt skewed wide off Michael Collins.

Barnsley went on to level on 67 minutes when Hammill swung in an excellent cross from the left and Pearson chested in from a yard at the far post.

At the other end, Coulson curled another free kick over from 25 yards and, after Sam Winnall drove over for Barnsley, both teams had great opportunities to add to the score.

For City, a raid down the left by substitute Anthony Straker teed up a chance for Oliver but, having turned his marker on the edge of the six-yard box, he shot straight at Davies.

Isgrove was even more wasteful, though, when he dragged his shot wide from the same distance.

But the classy Hammill had the final say on 84 minutes, cutting in from the left he unleashed a powerful 20-yard strike that rocketed into the same top corner that Coulson had earlier found and with just as much relish.

Isgrove went on to miss the target again with the goal at his mercy from 12 yards and Eddie Nolan headed over in added-on time but Barnsley saw the game out to bring to an end their run of six straight defeats.

Their opponents have now lost four on the spin.


Scott Flinders: 7

Marvin McCoy: 6

George Swan: 7

Femi Ilesanmi: 7

Eddie Nolan: 7

Michael Collins: 7

Ben Godfrey: 7

James Berrett: 7

Emile Sinclair: 6

Vadaine Oliver: 6

Michael Coulson: 8

Substitutes: David Tutonda (for Godfrey, 50), Anthony Straker (for Sinclair, 65), Jake Hyde (for Oliver, 74).

Subs not used: Michael Ingham, Dave Winfield.

Star man: Coulson – cracking goal and always a threat

Barnsley: Adam Davies, Reece Wabara, Alfie Mawson, Lewin Nyatanga, George Smith, Lloyd Isgrove, Conor Hourihane, Ben Pearson, Adam Hammill, Ivan Toney (Harry White, 83), Simeon Jackson (Sam Winnall, 68). Subs not used: Nick Townsend, James Bree, Marc Roberts. 

Referee: David Webb rating: 7/10

Booked: McCoy 14, Godfrey 26, Wabara 88, Hammill 90+5.

Attendance: 3,360 (509 from City)

Shots on target: Barnsley 8, City 5

Shots off target: Barnsley 7, City 2

Corners: Barnsley 7, City 2

Fouls conceded: Barnsley 10, City 12

Offsides: Barnsley 0, City 2