VADAINE Oliver returned from a three-game ban to help an impressive York City brush aside neighbours Doncaster in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

The former Crewe striker netted early goals in both halves with the Minstermen, who received a bye in the first round, having already matched their longest-ever run in the competition – an accolade previously belonging solely to Denis Smith’s legendary 1984/85 team.

City will now take their place in Saturday’s Northern Area quarter-final draw with the next ties taking place during the week commencing November 9.

The hosts, who made one change to their starting line-up with Oliver returning after serving his three-match suspension in place of cup-tied striker Rhys Turner, were twice indebted to Scott Flinders in the opening three minutes.

The in-form keeper did well to parry out 12-yard efforts from Danny N’Guessan and James Coppinger but it was the Minstermen that forged ahead from their first attack of the match on six minutes.

The ball broke loose to Anthony Straker on the left flank and his perfectly-delivered, first-time cross saw Oliver plant a lunging ten-yard header into Thorsten Stuckmann’s bottom left corner.

Rovers responded with an Andy Williams header that drifted wide while Michael Coulson curled a 15-yard effort into the away end following Straker’s pass inside.

Harry Middleton went on to drag an edge-of-the-box opportunity wide and his right-wing cross was steered wide of Flinders’ near post by Williams.

Buoyed by his goal, Oliver headed over from a James Berrett centre and, at the other end, on-loan Crystal Palace striker Keshi Anderson drove inches wide from 20 yards after twisting his way past John McCombe.

Williams' looping header was also safely gathered by Flinders on the stroke of half-time.

But the Minstermen doubled their advantage on 50 minutes when Oliver capitalised on Aaron Taylor-Sinclair indecision.

Clear through on goal through the left channel, Oliver then deftly lifted the ball over an advancing Stuckmann and fired into an inviting net.

After Anderson had glanced a header wide for the visitors, Marvin McCoy stabbed over with the outside of his boot from eight yards following good work by Straker down the left.

Taylor-Sinclair went on to sidefoot well over from 30 yards while substitute Harry Forrester’s stinging drive from a similar distance was pushed away by Flinders.

The Doncaster winger also flashed an 84th-minute effort across the face of goal but City secured victory with few scares having defended solidly as a unit all night.


Scott Flinders: 8

Keith Lowe: 8

John McCombe: 8

Femi Ilesanmi: 8

Marvin McCoy: 7

Michael Collins: 7

Russell Penn: 7

James Berrett: 7

Anthony Straker: 8

Vadaine Oliver: 9

Michael Coulson: 7

Substitutes: Josh Carson 7 (for Coulson, 68), Reece Thompson (for Oliver, 80).  

Subs not used: Michael Ingham, Dave Winfield, Emile Sinclair.



Thorsten Stuckmann, James Horsfield, Andy Butler, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Cedric Evina, James Coppinger, Ritchie Wellens, Harry Middleton, Danny N’Guessan, Keshi Anderson (Harry Forrester, 73), Andy Williams (Liam Mandeville, 64). Subs not used: Paul Keegan, Marko Marosi, Paul McKay.  

Star man: Oliver – held ball up and took his goals superbly well

Referee: Geoff Eltringham. Rating: 8/10

Booked: Forrester 82.

Attendance: 1,627 (571 from Doncaster)  

Shots on target: City 2, Doncaster 5

Shots off target: City 4, Doncaster 7

Corners: City 1, Doncaster 3

Fouls conceded: City 10, Doncaster 9

Offsides: City 3, Doncaster 3