As York City try to create some FA Cup magic in the first round against AFC Wimbledon this weekend, we've been rooting through the archives - and having a good old browse on Youtube - to find some of the greatest cup clashes to have been staged down the years at Bootham Crescent.

So stick on your rose-tinted spectacles and strap yourselves in, it's going to be an emotional ride...


"The record breaker" - York City 0, Huddersfield 0, sixth round, March 5, 1938


Neither a win, nor even a goal to cheer, but this last eight clash was the biggest day in the young York City's history and - 74 years on - it is still the record crowd at Bootham Crescent.

28,123 turned out to watch the Minstermen against the First Division giants, with spectators spilling over barriers and lining the touchlines.

Peter Spooner's second half header was cleared off the line and York were forced to settle for a draw. They lost the replay 2-1.


"Spurs outplayed from start to finish" - York City 3, Tottenham Hotspur 1, fifth round, February 19, 1955

York Press:


Considered by some the finest game ever played at Bootham Crescent, an all-ticket crowd of 21,000 saw York record a magnificent 3-1 victory.

Falling behind in the 11th minute to George Robb's close range goal, City would outplay their First Division opponents for long periods of the match as they stamped their authority.

Norman Wilkinson headed the equaliser in the 29th minute and Billy Fenton put York in front soon after.

Wilkinson ensured York's victory with ten minutes to go, after he steered in Fenton's cross, pictured above. Following the game, Spurs' Danny Blanchflower said: "York's standard of play left us speechless."

York, who had already beaten Blackpool on that cup run, would reach the semi-final - drawing 1-1 with Newcastle United at Hillsborough before going down 2-1 in the replay. They would earn the nickname the 'Happy Wanderers'.



"An epic Cup tie" - York City 3, Southampton 3, third round, January 23, 1971

York Press:


A David vs Goliath clash as City, mid-table in Division Four, took on seventh placed First Division side Southampton.

It was an incredible tie which came to life in the second half. The Saints took the lead in the 66th minute with Jimmy Gabriel heading Mick Channon's cross past Ron Hillyard.

England international Channon put Southampton two up with 12 minutes remaining and the tie looked over.

Kevin McMahon beat Eric Martin with a header, ten minutes from time, to halve the deficit but Southampton restored the cushion through Ron Davies.

Two late goals, however, somehow gave City a share of the spoils. Dick Hewitt fired home with three minutes left on the clock and, in the last minute, Paul Aimson, pictured above, found the inside of the post with a magnificent header as York came back from the dead.

The replay was another exciting encounter, but the Minstermen narrowly lost 3-2.



"The other Keith Houchen FA Cup goal" - York City 1, Arsenal 0, fourth round, January 26, 1985

York Press:


Keith Houchen would become famous for another FA Cup goal - yes, that one in the final for Coventry - but to York supporters, this one is just as important.

Following an afternoon of high drama, Denis Smith's men beat a Gunners side worth £4.5 million, and containing Kenny Samson, David O'Leary and Viv Anderson, thanks to Houchen's spot kick.

It came in the last minute as Houchen was felled by Steve Williams. He got up and calmly slotted past John Lukic for a memorable victory that is still talked about nearly three decades later.



"Super Sbragia", York City 1, Liverpool 1, fifth round, February 16, 1985

York Press:


Though they would lose the replay 7-0, York showed their giant-killing of Arsenal was no fluke when they fashioned a 1-1 draw with a Liverpool side that included some of the world's best footballers in their ranks.

Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish, Bruce Grobbelaar - it was a line-up filled with star-studded quality. But the brave Minstermen forced a draw and won a trip to Anfield thanks to Ricky Sbragia's equaliser, seen above, after Rush had given the visitors the lead.

The two sides would meet again in the fifth round a year later. Gary Ford put York in front after 61 minutes as hopes were raised of another massive shock, but they held the advantage only briefly.

Jan Molby equalised from the penalty spot and Liverpool won the replay 3-1.



"Wayne Hall's wonder goal", York City 1, Tranmere 1, second round, December 8, 1991


Not necessarily an amazing game as such, but worth a look if only for Wayne Hall's spectacular equaliser that brought a 1-1 draw against a Tranmere side which included former Liverpool striker John Aldridge in its ranks.

Hall, the scorer of the winning penalty that would take City to promotion against Crewe at Wembley in 1993, took the ball on the left hand side, dribbled inside and unleashed a fierce strike that found the top corner. Superb.

Tranmere won the replay 2-1.


These games are just six of our best. What are your favourites? Leave your comments below or talk to @scarrollpress on Twitter