FOUR people, including two children, have been taken to hospital after a house fire in a village near York early this morning (October 4).

Fire crews were called to a fire in the living room of a house in Stockton-on-the-Forest at about 1.10am and put out the flames.

"This resulted in fire damage to a sofa and smoke damage to the whole of the property," a spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The spokesperson added: "Two adults and two children suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by ambulance.

"The cause is believed to have been a laptop left on charge on the sofa.

"Fortunately smoke detectors were fitted, they activated and raised the alarm."

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hosereel, a positive pressure ventilation fan, lighting and first aid kit.

Following the incident, Acomb and Huntington fire station manager Tony Walker has urged people to take care when charging electrical items.

He said: "Laptops and phones should never be left on beds or sofas."