A SPARK from a battery-operated drill is thought to be the cause of the fire at a recycling plant near Scarborough.

Fire fighters were called out to tackle the fire which involved propane cylinders at a recycling plant on Burniston Road in the town.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue were called out at 2.08pm on Tuesday and sent five crews from Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay and Filey to the scene, including an aerial ladder.

It was evening before the fire was out and the last crew left the scene.

The road, which was closed earlier by police, was reopened. Firefighters returned to the scene on Wednesday morning to check the site as a precaution, and declared the incident closed.

The fire, which began in a de-pollution workshop, totally destroyed a 250 square metre building.