AN MP has called for the sale of “nitro-cocktails” to be banned following the incident which left an 18-year-old girl needing surgery to remover her stomach.

Morecambe and Lunesdale MP David Morris said: “It needs to be done so we do not see anyone else’s son or daughter injured or even killed.”

NHS Cumbria’s director of public health, Prof John Ashton, has also urged bar owners and managers not to use liquid nitrogen in drinks that anyone is going to consume.

Their comments came after Gaby Scanlon suffered a perforated stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen at an Oscars wine bar in Lancaster, a sister bar of Oscars and the Biltmore bars in York city centre.

The Biltmore has suspended the sale of such drinks following the incident.