BATTLING City of York Hockey Club men’s I kept their North League premier division survival hopes alive with a 6-2 win at Oxton.

The team travelled with a squad of only 12 players due to work commitments and injuries, but they recovered from 1-0 down after two minutes to claim a superb victory.

Oxton appeared to have scored a second goal, but the strike was disallowed and City of York then levelled through skipper Chris Wilson after a couple of short corners. A superb cross from Steve Paterson was turned in by Jack Purrington to put York 2-1 up at half-time. Man of the match Ben Bull led the midfield superbly, creating numerous second-half chances. Alex Cockram finished off a penalty corner to make it 3-1 and Purrington got his second.

Oxton pulled a goal back from a penalty corner, but a superb shot from Wilson into the roof of the net and a scintillating run and shot from Cockram earned City of York their most emphatic win this term.

City of York II threw away a 3-1 half-time lead to lose 6-4 at Hull University I in the Yorkshire League premier division. York’s first-half scorers were Alex Fletcher and Josh Longster (2).

In a poor second half, City shipped three sloppy goals.

York were denied a clear penalty flick when a shot hit a defender on the line and the students added two further goals before Peter Fitton grabbed a consolation.

Despite being outplayed for much of the division one game – losing 3-0 – City of York III produced one of their better displays this season at home to second-placed Leeds University III.

In the first half, Leeds forced 12 short corners and managed to score from just one of them before half-time, thanks to a valiant performance from City ’keeper Brian Ignjatovic.

Only in the last ten minutes did City crumble and University were then able to add two more goals.

City of York IV recovered from a poor start which allowed Halifax II to go in front in their division three tussle.

Before half-time Alex Lewis decisively broke down the right and crossed for Matt Hays to tap in.

City took control in the second half and created several chances, one of which led to a short corner hammered home by Ben Foster.

In division five north, City of York V beat Thirsk II 1-0 with a fine solo goal from captain David Dick.

They then defended brilliantly to preserve the lead.

But City of York VII lost 3-2 to Ben Rhydding V in the same division.

After the loss of two first-half goals, York conceded another early in the second period before Harry Heyes reverse swept the ball from the top of the ‘D’ into the net and Craig Ball flicked the ball past the ’keeper for the second.

The City of York Men’s Development team (York Badgers) played their best match of the season to defeat leaders and hosts Bradford 3-1.

Neat passing and positional play was rewarded after 15 minutes with a reverse-stick goal from James Fitton.

A couple of minutes later, Andrew Hyams doubled the lead before Henry Wilson converted off a shot from Fitton.

Bradford reduced the arrears just before the interval.

York ’keeper Tom Starbuck was in defiant form aided by fine defence from Matt Birch.

Bradford piled on the pressure, but Birch, Craig Wake and John Doran held out for a superb triumph which extended an undefeated run to four matches.

There was no fixture for City of York VI, while the VIII and IX fixtures were both cancelled.