A WOMAN from York has died from food poisoning after doctors battled in vain to save her life.

Retired bank clerk Lynn Welsh, 57, fell ill with sickness and diarrhoea over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Her husband Mike said today they thought at first it was just a run-of-the-mill stomach upset and waited for it to run its course.

But over the following few days, Lynn felt no better and went to see her doctor, who arranged for tests to be carried out.

The results came back showing she was suffering from food poisoning, probably caused by chicken, and she was prescribed antibiotics.

But a fortnight ago, her condition worsened. Mr Welsh called 999 and she was taken by ambulance to A&E at York Hospital.

Doctors there said her kidneys had failed because of the bug, and she was placed in intensive care and given dialysis.

However, over subsequent days, her other organs began to fail, and she died on Thursday, September 16.

An inquest into her death opened yesterday and was adjourned.

The Health Protection Agency said it was aware of an inquest into the recent death of a York resident who had been confirmed to have campylobacter infection, and its condolences went to the family concerned.

Mr Welsh, a former North Yorkshire Police licensing officer who now works as a licensing officer for City of York Council, said he was still in shock over the death of his wife of 36 years.

“She was a reasonably healthy woman,” he said.

“She had just retired from her work as a clerk at RBS in York, having taken redundancy, and was enjoying the summer before looking at getting a part-time job in the autumn.

“She had only just been to London with a mate to see several shows in August, and was okay on the morning of the Friday at the start of the Bank Holiday weekend.

“She rang me later that day to say she was sick and had diarrhoea but we thought it would just clear up.

“Lynn was a lovely supportive wife, and was just my best friend.”

‘Illness usually mild’

THE Health Protection Agency said today that campylobacter bacteria caused food poisoning, and symptoms included diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pains and cramps, fever, and generally feeling unwell.

“It is the commonest cause of food poisoning in Britain and symptoms caused by the illness are generally mild,” said a spokeswoman.

“Anyone can get campylobacter, but young children under five years of age, those over 60 and people who work with farm animals or in the meat industry, and travellers to developing countries, are at greater risk.”

She said people usually became infected by eating contaminated food. “Campylobacter is found in most raw poultry and is common in raw meat. Mushrooms and shellfish can also be contaminated but this is unusual.”

She said people could guard against the bacteria by avoiding storing raw and cooked foods together and using the same work surfaces or utensils when preparing raw and cooked food.

People should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and warm water before preparing and eating food, after handling raw food, after going to the toilet or changing a baby’s nappy, after contact with pets and other animals and after working in the garden.