CITY of York I came down to earth with a bump when they lost 6-1 to National Hockey League premier division leaders Sheffield University Bankers I.

City began the game well and played effective, open hockey only for a dubious decision to cost them.

Bankers went ahead from a penalty corner seven minutes into the game for an obscure infringement.

The hosts' bad luck extended when Gawaine Hogg stopped the ball in front of goal with his foot and, despite there being another defender behind him on the line, he was penalised with a penalty stroke.

Bankers added a third just before half-time and City went off feeling frustrated and disappointed.

The second half turned out to be much like the first. Bankers scored another goal only for Ben Foster to hit the target after earlier efforts from he and Lee Cuffe had gone awry.

York desperately sought more plunder but left gaps with predictable results, the visitors adding two more goals.

City of York II prised a 1-1 draw at Sheffield University Bankers II.

City began the stronger with Alex Cockram orchestrating counter-attacks, but the score at half-time was blank.

In the second half Bankers' early pressure was repelled and it was City who took the lead when Cockram took a pass from Kyle Hogg to sweep the ball under the 'keeper.

With 15 minutes to go Bankers' flurry of pressure yielded a deflected leveller.

Derby game duty ended in City of York III beating visiting Acomb I 3-1 in Yorkshire League division one.

From a short corner Jeremy Pitch put City ahead. Ten minutes later John Pierce doubled the lead before Acomb countered with a move featuring Chris Foster and Ian Roberton and executed by Tom Whitfield.

In the second half, City pressed, but a solid display by ex-City goalkeeper Steve Church prevented them going further ahead.

Man-of-the-match Graham Guffick held the COY defence together before John Peet confirmed victory after seizing on a short corner flick.

City of York IV suffered a second half slump to crash 4-2 at Thirsk in the YHL third division.

In a cracking start, Greg Sykes and Ed Marsden put the visitors ahead. But after the break Thirsk showed a new ruthlessness with four goals from as many chances.

City of York V beat visitors Huddersfield IV 2-1. It was defenders Jules Bellerby and Tony Neave who showed the way with a goal apiece.

Third-placed City of York VI won 1-0 at fourth in the table Sheffield University Bankers VII. The decisive blow was struck in the first minute by skipper Tim Jolly's superb reverse stick shot.

City of York VII dominated at home to Doncaster VI but lost 3-1. City went ahead with a goal from captain Neil Reader and really should have made more of their chances.

But Doncaster equalised just before the break and in the second half City's reduction to ten men - allied to defensive errors - enabled Doncaster to add two more.

City of York VIII and IX, both in Division 10 East, were without games.

Updated: 10:05 Tuesday, February 14, 2006