York Wasps will be without Iefata Sini for their two toughest games of the season so far after the winger was hit with a four-match ban.

Ban: Sini

Sini received the suspension and a £75 fine at a Rugby Football League disciplinary hearing yesterday for striking an opponent during the 26-14 defeat at Workington. Sini and Workington scrum half Carl Roden were picked out on video after a bust-up involving every player on the pitch was placed on report by referee Dave Ansell. Roden was banned or three games.

The punishment takes immediate effect so the in-form Sini will miss Good Friday's trip to Premiership leaders Hull KR and the Easter Monday home clash with second placed Hunslet Hawks, plus the following two matches away at Doncaster Dragons and at home to Bramley.

His suspension coincides with the end of Wasps scrum half Andy Preston's seven match ban for a dangerous tackle in the first game of the season against Egremont.

Wasps chief Jim Race was satisfied with the decision after fears that Sini's punishment could have been worse. "The club is quite pleased with the outcome. He got a fair hearing and got everything he could have asked for," said Race, who added that there was unlikely to be an appeal against the decision.

Both clubs now face further action after the RFL decided the incident during the closing stages of the Derwent Park clash constituted a brawl. They will appear before another disciplinary hearing a week on Friday to answer a disrepute charge.

Race said: "There are no other charges hanging over us. We have quite a good record and are not expecting anything major. We are expecting a fair hearing and I expect we will be severely censored. We take it very seriously and we will implement anything they recommend to try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Meanwhile, Race confirmed York have made an official complaint to the RFL about racial abuse directed by some Workington players and supporters towards Sini. The RFL will now investigate the matter before deciding what action, if any, to take against the Cumbrian club.

Meanwhile, Chris Hopcutt insists his rugby league career is far from over despite the horrific knee injury which has left his season in tatters.

The long-serving York Wasps star tore the main tendon in his left knee and fractured the knee cap in a tackle during the 16-15 victory over Swinton Lions two weeks ago. Reports since have suggested his playing day could be numbered, but Hopcutt has vowed: "I'll be back."

And he has enlisted the help of former York physiotherapist Paula Clark to ensure his return is sooner rather than later.

He said: "I've been told I'll be out for three or four months but that's hospital time. I'm hoping to get a bit of physio with Paula during the day which might get me back quicker than at hospital which is just once a week.

"She said it could be just an eight week injury if I get the proper treatment. I shouldn't worry about playing again as long as I'm sensible and come back when I'm ready and not too soon. I've set myself next season as the target and anything before that will be a bonus."

But Hopcutt thought differently when he saw his knee after the game. He knew immediately it was a bad injury and was in terrible pain which forced the doctors to administer morphine and put him on gas and air.

Looking back at the moment it happened he said: "My knee hit their bloke's knee. His must have hit underneath mine and pushed the knee cap out. It was a bit of a mess. When I saw it in the hospital I feared the worst. But after they'd straightened it out it didn't look that bad. I don't think it's bad enough to end my career. It's a serious injury but you see other players who have had knee reconstruction and still play again.

"The consultant said I was lucky because I hadn't damaged my cruciate ligament. But I'll have to wait until I get the pot off and see what it's like when I can start doing something with it."

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.