The plight of York Wasps is expected be discussed by the Rugby Football League's board of directors this week.

The RFL directors are due to meet on Wednesday to look at the serious issues surrounding the future of the sport and a possible shake-up at the game's Red Hall headquarters.

The Evening Press understands that was to be the only topic up for discussion but York's situation could now be introduced onto the agenda.

The Huntington Stadium club are facing a High Court hearing in London on Wednesday, June 7, after it was revealed that the Inland Revenue believe the Wasps owe £77,000 and started winding up action against the club.

The Wasps board met on Saturday to discuss moves to try to strike an agreement with the Inland Revenue that will avoid the matter being taken to a court hearing.

However, the Wasps board have yet to work out their plan to keep the club afloat.

Director John Waddington said today: "We met on Saturday, but nothing concrete has come of our discussions yet.

"We have got a few avenues that we want to try, but so far there is nothing definite, but the Press and the fans will be the first to know as soon as we have come up with something."

The RFL are not in a position to put together a rescue package for the club but are keenly monitoring the position at Huntington Stadium.

"We are very aware of the seriousness of the situation, but as yet we have not been made aware that anything has changed in their plight," said RFL media officer John Huxley today.

With two other RL bodies also due to meet in the next couple of weeks - the Association of Premiership Clubs next Friday and the RL council on June 8 - the Wasps future is likely to be a major issue.

Meanwhile, the Wasps were in action against away at Batley Bulldogs this afternoon.

Warrington followed the lead set by Leeds to destroy the unbeaten record of Bradford Bulls and throw open the race for the Tetley's Bitter Super League title.

Just two days after the Rhinos came from behind to topple leaders Wigan, Warrington pulled off an even bigger upset by casting aside their dismal form to beat the Bulls 42-32 at Wilderspool.

St Helens were the beneficiaries of the shocks, opening up a two-point lead ahead of Friday night's showdown with Bradford, but they were pushed all the way by Hull before scoring three late tries to secure a 27-14 win at Knowsley Road.

The Bulls looked to be cruising to victory as they led 30-12 at half-time against a Wolves side that had lost their last three home games.

But the home side stormed back to score five tries without reply and reignite their own play-off hopes.

"It just shows that nobody is invincible," said Warrington coach Darryl van de Velde.

"There's been some really good sides beaten over the years and it's going to happen in the future.

"That's rugby league, that's sport."

Bradford's cause was not helped when prop forward Brian McDermott was sent off in the 54th minute for a high tackle on Mark Hilton, a decision described by coach Matthew Elliott as "harsh".

Wolves scrum-half Allan Langer scored two of his side's seven tries and was at the heart of the tremendous fightback to earn the man-of-the-match award.

"We saw Allan Langer at his best," beamed van de Velde. "He dominated the game. Without him, we wouldn't have won."

The Rugby League will investigate claims by Warrington forward Danny Nutley that he was bitten in yesterday's match.

St Helens coach Ian Millward was a relieved man after watching his side come from behind to make it 11 wins in a row at the expense of in-form Hull.

Former Saints coach Shaun McRae, who guided Gateshead to victory at Knowsley Road last season, looked set to produce a repeat as Hull led 14-9 after an hour - but the home side came with a late rush, scoring three tries in the last 18 minutes.