York City saved if not the best then certainly their biggest till last.

The Minstermen departed Bootham Crescent for this season with a stroll down Easy Street and a comfortable 3-0 win over struggling Bristol Rovers.

The result was City's biggest home win in almost four years, since a 3-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers back in August 1998.

It also maintained City's fine run of form at Bootham Crescent in 2002.

Since the turn of the year the Minstermen have lost just once and won seven out of their last nine matches on home soil.

Last night was perhaps not their best performance of that run, but nor was it their worst.

They did the hard work in the first half to secure the points and in the second, as they took their foot of the pedal and struggled to move beyond cruise control, easily contained a docile Pirates outfit.

Strangely enough, City's three goals all had an element of good fortune about them, none more so than their first which came on eight minutes.

Under pressure from Lee Nogan, Rovers defender Che Wilson could only direct Aidan O'Kane's inswinging corner goalwards.

Wayne Carlisle tried to hook the ball clear but the referee's assistant had spotted the ball had already crossed the line.

The Minstermen doubled their advantage just past the half-hour mark when Alex Mathie seized on a slip by Mark Foran and crossed the ball to Nogan, who had the easy task of tapping the ball home from six yards.

It was Nogan's 101st League goal of his career and 13th of the season and rarely can the former Watford poacher have enjoyed a more simple strike.

City had to wait until second-half injury time before adding their third, after again capitalising mercilessly on a Pirates' mistake.

Substitute Christian Fox showed some neat footwork to bring the ball clear in midfield before rolling it to Stephen Brackstone.

From just inside his own half, the youngster dropped the ball in behind the Rovers defence for Proctor to chase.

Pirates' keeper Scott Howie and Foran looked to have the danger covered but a tangle of limbs saw the ball squirm free, leaving Proctor to stroke home from the edge of the area.

Rovers rarely threatened, saving their most adventurous moments for the opening seconds of each half.

There was less than 15 on the clock when Wayne Carlisle crossed and James Quinn's header had to be turned around the post by Alan Fettis.

Similarly at the start of the second, a rare gaffe by the returning Chris Smith allowed Jamie Thomas a clear sight of goal but the on-loan Blackburn Rovers striker screwed his effort wide.

Other than that, though, the Pirates created very little, while Nogan and Mathie both squandered excellent chances to add to City's first-half tally, Nogan firing over from another Mathie cross and Mathie poking the ball straight at the 'keeper when put in the clear by Smith.

Even when City struggled to maintain possession and lost their way slightly in the final third of the game, the Pirates showed little in the way of menace.

And while in that 30-minute spell City coughed and spluttered as an attacking force, at least the Minstermen are getting the hang of closing games down when things refuse to go their way - it's just one goal conceded in five outings now.

The goal fest and glowing statistics aside, there were plenty of other positives upon which to chew.

With Chris Brass and Stuart Wise ruled out, the recalled Smith and Jon Parkin, restored to the defence, slotted in alongside the constantly impressive Scott Jones so smoothly the changes looked seamless.

In midfield, youngsters Brackstone and Leigh Wood belied their tender years to keep City ticking over and in control, while up front, the three-pronged threat of Nogan, Proctor and Mathie, who had his best game of the season, combined well and worked hard.

And while it was extremely unfortunate that Fettis succumbed to an injury, at least the City faithful got the chance to see Russ Howarth in League action for the first time in two years.

The England Under-20 'keeper got less than 30 minutes, but did enough in that time to show just why he is rated so highly, taking crosses with confidence and pulling off an exceptional save to deny Carlisle's free-kick that burst through the defensive wall.

There was even the welcome sight of 16-year-old schoolboy Lee Grant making his senior debut as a late substitute and the youngster showing some composed touches.

Allied to Proctor's final word, it was the perfect end to a near perfect night.

York City:

Scorers: Wilson (og) 8m, Nogan 32m, Proctor 90m

Fettis 7 (Howarth 65m, 7), Edmondson 7, Parkin 8, Smith 7, Jones 7, O'Kane 7 (Fox 78m), Wood 7, Brackstone 8, Mathie 7 (Grant 89m), Nogan 7, Proctor 7.

Subs, not used: Yalcin,Law.

Booked: Edmondson 57m (foul), Wood 77m (dissent).

Bristol Rovers: Howie, Wilson, Foran, Foster, Challis, Carlisle, Toner, Shore, Gall (McKeever 53m), Quinn (Ommel 75m), Thomas.

Subs, not used: Clarke, Gilroy, Tought

Booked: None

Attendance: 2,983

Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Chester-le-Street)

Updated: 10:06 Wednesday, April 17, 2002