The game of the day was the all-coastal encounter at Hornsea, where Bridlington pulled off a fine victory in seriously bad light to leap-frog over their opponents to the top of division two.

A good team effort saw Hornsea pocket the full batting points as they reached 201-9.

Paul Johnson was their top scorer with 48 not out, while Richard Webster (33), Mike Harah (30) and Richard Medforth (43) all weighed in with handy scores.

Bridlington's best bowling figures were logged by Stephen Briggs who took 3-49, while Will Hall had 2-70.

Hafiz Khalid then took up where he left off the previous week when he rattled up a quickfire ton against Rowntrees. He put the Hornsea bowlers to the sword, racing to a century in just 55 balls.

He was particularly severe on John McKenzie who was hit for 28 in an over as the Pakistan star sent ten balls clear out of the ground and added a further eight fours.

McKenzie gained some consolation when he took the catch at extra cover off the bowling of Jon Lewis to dismiss Khalid who made 104 out of the 126 runs scored during his onslaught.

Lewis took 4-69, and in badly deteriorating light Ahmed Nadeem grabbed three wickets in an over. But his eventual 4-61 in 20.3 overs could not prevent Bridlington winning by two wickets in the 41st over as the game ended in gloom at 8.45pm.

Runs also flowed freely at St Helen's Road where Dringhouses were able to declare at 206-3 after just 34 overs due to identical knocks by John Crowe and Mick Kenyon, who each made 89. Matthew Radford then fronted Castleford's reply, reaching 33 not out in a total of 69-2 before the rains halted play.

Studley Royal were another side to gain full batting points when they made 210-2 in 39 overs at Rowntrees before the umpires called it a day.

The Royals were given a fine start by Australian Jerrard Loftman who made 95 and Jarrod Oliver who helped add 157 for the first wicket as he moved towards an unbeaten 73. Other runs came from Mark Sowray who made 29.

The weather denied Malton & Old Malton an almost certain victory over Sewerby when the game was wiped out after 35 overs of the second innings with Malton needing just 13 to win with six wickets in hand.

Sewerby's total of 158-8 owed much to Tahir Maqsood who made 52 but the first half honours went firmly to Steve Oldfield whose 22-over spell earned him a return of 7-93.

The Johnson brothers put Malton firmly in control with Neil making 65 and Greg an unbeaten 62 before their side's exasperating finale.

Shaminda Dissanayake made 58 to help Stillington reach 137-9 against Harrogate for whom Jim Cropper took 3-52.

Skipper Rupert Scales responded with an unbeaten 25 before the match was abandoned with the visitors having reached 49-1.

Updated: 10:35 Monday, May 19, 2003