AGGRIEVED York City boss Chris Brass is planning an appeal after his winning managerial debut was blighted by red.

City rewrote the record books with their 2-1 win at Carlisle, the Minstermen's first win away from home on the opening day in 20 years.

However, the result and promising performance from City was overshadowed by the player-chief's controversial dismissal which leaves Brass facing a three-match ban.

Brass was dismissed 34 minutes into his first game as player-boss for violent conduct after a dust-up with Carlisle striker Steve Livingston.

From the press box in the main stand, Brass appeared to do little wrong.

As both players challenged for a high ball referee Alan Butler blew for an infringement. Livingston clearly put his arm around the neck of Brass and wrestled the City chief to the floor.

Livingston then appeared to pin Brass to the ground before players from both sides moved in.

There were later reports that Livingston actually tried to bite the City manager, although Brass made no mention of such an incident in his post-match press conference.

Pleading his innocence, Brass said Butler had dismissed him for throwing a punch.

"I'm 100 per cent certain I didn't throw any punches," claimed the City player-chief.

"I went in and had a chat with the referee after the game and he said blows were exchanged.

"In the heat of battle, I don't remember myself throwing any blows but I will have to look at the video evidence.

"I have a right to appeal and I have told them I intend to. Hopefully, commonsense will prevail."

City are still waiting to see if Jon Parkin's red card, picked up in the Minstermen's 3-2 pre-season friendly defeat to Livingston, will stand after an appeal.

Parkin missed Saturday's trip to Brunton Park through injury.

It has now emerged Parkin's suspension, if it is enforced, would not start until next Saturday, for the home tie with Northampton.

The ban would also include City's matches with Huddersfield Town and Southend United.

If Brass is banned for three matches, he will miss the Terriers and Shrimpers' clashes, and also the game with Lincoln City.

City's day was further blotted by an injury suffered by Christian Fox, who was forced to limp from the pitch after an hour following a late tackle.

He was later seen limping to the team bus with his ankle heavily bandaged.

"It's a stud injury and he is a little sore," explained Brass, who also said City were nursing back Chris Smith, named among the substitutes, steadily following his hernia operation.

"We will have to monitor it and he did look in a bad way but we will know more in the next 24 hours."

Updated: 11:39 Monday, August 11, 2003