CHAMPIONS Pocklington are finding this season's Leeper Hare York and District League premier division campaign a little more challenging.

They are seven points behind pacesetters Malton Bacon Factory and needed a Baz Gargett header three minutes from time to salvage a point at Huntington, who had led with a right-foot volley from Kevin Martin.

MBF were put under pressure by Dunnington, who enjoyed a good second-half spell. Darryl Craggs netted from the penalty spot after 12 minutes and Simon Collins doubled the leaders' lead five minutes later. Andy Rose pulled one back for Dunnington just before the break and Simon Wood equalised early in the second half.

Just when Dunnington began to assert some authority, Collins struck to edge his side back in front and Craggs made certain with his second penalty in the last minute.

Wigginton Black Horse, who earlier in the season had looked like potential title challengers, came down to earth in spectacular style at home to Dringhouses. The visitors were two up at the break following goals from Craig McShane and Mark Woodward, who went on to bag five more in the second half in a 7-1 rout. Jamie Seal's penalty was Horse's only response.

Goals by Phil Jones and Kev Gaynor gave Rufforth a 2-0 win against Bishopthorpe.

Kartiers' top scorer, Andy Woodall, recorded two more to his name as the Selby side added to Nestle Rowntree's problems at the foot of the table with a 2-1 win.

'Trees took the lead through Mick Burdett but fell to Woodall's second half strikes.

Wigginton Grasshoppers had a comfortable 5-1 win at Osbaldwick. Dominic Graham opened the scoring after five minutes and netted a second on the half-hour mark. Adam Blenkini gave Osbaldwick some hope when he scored direct from a corner five minutes later but Owen Willis headed in Wigginton's third before the break.

Although the home side pushed forward, with Triffitt the pick of their attack, they lacked any real scoring threat and fell further behind when Tom Coates netted from the penalty spot. Willis rounded off the scoring when he beat the offside trap in the last minute.

Division one pacesetters South Bank dropped their first points of the season as they were held 1-1 by lowly Civil Service, Rob Adams earning Service their first point of the season.

Post Office recovered from last week's setback against South Bank to see off New Earswick thanks to goals from Mark Bradley and Mike Heels, and Hamilton Panthers thumped Riccall 7-0 with goals from Shaun Turner (4), Dave Hyde (2) and Paul Barron.

Haxby United announced their promotion intentions with a 5-0 home win over Crayke. Rich Iggulden netted the opening two goals, David Thompson claimed the third and Mark Scoreby converted a penalty before James Siddall bagged the fifth from a free-kick.

St John's College and Stamford Bridge drew 2-2. Chris Lees and John Hilton were on target for the students and Sean Skippen scored both Bridge goals.

Wilberfoss increased Huby's woes in division two as Jon Hardcastle recorded a first-half hat-trick and added another after the break to go with goals from Olly Newby and Sean Rush in a 6-1 win. David Adams managed to net a consolation goal for Huby.

Rawcliffe Rangers managed their first division three triumph at the third attempt as they came away from Wheldrake with a 2-0 victory.

After a scoreless first half, substitute Geoff Hunter struck 15 minutes from time and Matt Fearn made sure of the points two minutes before the end.

Sheriff Hutton also recorded their first win of the season with a 4-2 home win over Heworth. Simon Roy, Mark Jackson, Kenny Crampton and Simon Glendinning were their marksmen.

Reserve 'C' and 'D' reports will be published later this week.

Updated: 11:16 Monday, October 20, 2003