City of York Ladies II slayed hosts Syngenta Dragons 2-0 in Yorkshire League division two.

Although both goals were unusual, York's attacking play merited victory. The first goal was forced in by Shona Murray when the umpire allowed an advantage after the ball hit a defender's foot on the goal line.

York's second came when Murray shot wide of the goal, only to see the ball deflected into the net by a home defender.

Dragons then threw players forward but some good work by York 'keeper Lynne Gowland made sure of the points.

In division five, City of York Ladies III lost 3-1 at home to Slazengers II.

York were two goals down at half-time and, although Lucy Stubley scored after the break, Slazengers went on to win.

City of York Ladies IV drew 2-2 in an evenly matched division six game game at Thirsk II.

Heather Stafford and Katie Stafford scored York's goals while Lisa Feasby had a good game in defence.

Meanwhile, City of York I were without a North League game but kept in trim with a 6-0 win in a friendly at home to Sheffield University Bankers.

Kate Rorrison, Sarah Lawrence and Sally Sleightholme scored first half goals with Sleightholme, Lawrence and Mandy Nesbit adding the three in the second half of what turned out to be a one-sided game.

Next weekend, York visit Harrogate in the North League and then travel to Birmngham to play Edgbaston in the second round of the England Hockey Women's Cup.

Missed chances cost Selby the chance of victory over Sheffield Hallam V and had to settle for a 2-2 draw in the Yorkshire League, Jenni Fearnley scoring both Selby goals.

Selby, who fielded several newcomers, were well served by defenders Joy Laing, Angela Crossland, Diane Blanchard and 'keeper Vicky Prescott.

Nestl Rowntrees thrashed Dunnington 14-0 in the York and District Hockey League with the plunder shared between Margi Charlson (5), Jane Markland (7), Carole Carter and Julie Moore.

Acomb Ladies I travelled to Lockwood Park I and despite playing some of their best hockey of the season found themselves a goal down as a result of a penalty stroke.

Goalkeeper Gemma Hall and midfielder Rachael Linfoot kept Lockwood at bay before Kerry Rafton equalised for Acomb with a penalty stroke.

Early goals from Laura Ward and Wendy Watson got Acomb Ladies II off to a fine start against Horsforth II.

But the West Yorkshire side rallied well to make it 2-2 and Acomb's Rebecca Wallins missed a penalty.

Updated: 09:05 Tuesday, October 21, 2003