Severus SC completed a prized John Smith's League and cup double with a brace of victories.

They started with a 3-0 win over Derwent United courtesy of goals from Ducey, Lake and McShane.

On the same night Marcia, one of their title rivals, could only manage a 1-1 draw at Selby Olympia WMC.

Severus and Marcia then met for a Sabbath showdown.

In what proved to be a tight affair the scores were level at the break after Jones had netted for Severus and Naylor for Marcia. A second-half strike from Ducey proved to be the winner for Severus.

Hounds were therefore left as the only team who could possibly catch them but goals from Jackson and Clayton weren't enough as Bradshaw scored twice for Derwent United to give them a share of the points and help Severus to regain the title they lost last season.

Cup finalists Selby Olympia crashed to a 5-1 defeat at Pocklington for whom Rudd and Whitehead each scored a brace.

Severus continued in the same vein with a 5-4 win over Volunteer Arms, while Nestl Rowntree beat Ainsty Panthers 3-1 and New Earswick collected their second win of the season, 4-0 at home to Derwent, Butler scoring twice.

Thorpe United were given a scare by Nestl Flag before finally securing their place in division one next season with a 4-2 win in division two.

They were cruising when Wood, Tweedie and Jobling gave them a 3-0 lead ten minutes into the second half. But when Chris Dyson came on as a substitute the game changed as he first set up Jackson and then netted himself to reduce the arrears to a single goal. Thorpe weren't going to be denied, however, as Wood grabbed his second late on.

In division three, Boot and Slipper require only a point from their last game at Fulford to pip Burnholme for the second promotion spot after beating them 3-0. That followed a 3-2 win over Bishopthorpe against whom Watt, Allison and Palfreyman were the scorers.

Turpin ended their season with their first win in eight as Slater, Haigh and Cross netted in a 3-1 defeat of Fulford.

Division four champions Hambleton took their foot off the gas as they went down to only their third defeat of the season, 2-1 at home to Beeswing, followed by a 3-3 draw at Acomb Celtic, where Reay, Farrar and Abel were the scorers. Rankeillor, Woof and Lane replied for Acomb.

The second promotion spot is still up for grabs. Barlby could have made it theirs but were held to a 2-2 draw at Heworth, Davis netting both with Sellars and Dexter scoring for Heworth.

Real Way Station beat Acomb Celtic 2-1 courtesy of goals from Lambton and Simpson and victory over Beeswing in their final game will see them claim the second promotion spot.

The Plough finished their season with a couple of 2-2 draws, first at Shoulder of Mutton and then against Copmanthorpe with Bedford netting a brace. Dave Robinson scored both for Copmanthorpe.

Green scored twice as Shoulder of Mutton warmed up for their Mecca Trophy Cup Final with a 4-1 win over Kings Arms.

In division five, Burton Stone were happy for the curtain to come down on their season as they lost 2-0 to Wilberfoss to goals from Sutcliffe and Holden.

Wilberfoss followed that with a 2-1 win at Gypsy Moth, Heads and Parkin scoring.

Ben Whatling hit a hat-trick as Castle Howard Ox signed off with a 5-2 win over Black Swan, James Medley netting the other two.

Albion Vaults claimed the second promotion spot from division six with a 3-0 win over Edinburgh Arms, Andy White scoring twice, and then a 2-1 win over champions Skelton courtesy of goals from Ward and the prolific White.

F1 Racing secured third spot when a 2-1 win over Quaker Wood was followed by victory by the same scoreline at Albion Vaults.

Clubs are reminded that the next league meeting is on Thursday, April 29, at New Earswick Bowls Club at 8pm.

Updated: 08:48 Friday, April 23, 2004