Our second look at market scenes concentrates on St Sampson's Square, York.

Right: St Sampson's Square is shown here between 1904 and 1907. Mark Bullivant, named here as the licensee of the Golden Lion Inn on the left of the picture, died in June 1907.

The Shepherd's City Baths (Turkish and Slipper) opened in 1902 and are next to Henry Ward's furniture dealership.

The double building in the right angle of the square is the Black Bull Hotel. Up until 1903 the left hand side of this building had been the Hand and Heart Inn. The licence was surrendered and the Black Bull extended sideways.

After the entrance to Finkle Street, the Mail Coach Inn is now known as the Roman Bath. This is next to the Rhodes Brown Drapery Store and then the Three Cranes Inn and the Exchange Inn.

Above: This shows St Sampson's Square on a busy market day in 1951 before the market (mainly meat and fish) was moved to Newgate. The car travelling from the left of the picture is a Standard Vanguard, it is just about to pass a Triumph Renown. An ice cream seller can be seen in the left of the foreground. This is J. Questa who had a shop on the corner of King's Square and St Andrewgate. He was an Italian who came to York in about 1900 - some of his family still live locally. Several public houses can be seen in the picture - The Three Cranes is on the right, next door but one is The Mail Coach which was later renamed The Roman Bath.

ABOVE: This local farmer was photographed selling his produce in St Sampson's Square in 1899 by William Hayes. Behind the market stalls are the Tin Trunk warehouse, The Golden Lion public house and the city Turkish bath.

ABOVE: This woman was photographed selling china in St Sampson's Square in 1899

Photographs reproduced courtesy of www.imagineyork.co.uk, a Lottery-funded project based at York Reference Library.

Copies of published pictures can by obtained from Anne Wood or Helene Brown from our photosales department, on (01904) 567135, or via photosales@ycp.co.uk

Updated: 09:47 Monday, May 03, 2004