NUMEROUS fire crews were called to deal with a blaze at a property in a North Yorkshire seaside town earlier today.

Scarborough, Filey and Robin Hoods Bay crews responded to a premises fire in Victoria Park Avenue in Scarborough at around 11.30am.

Upon arrival, crews wearing breathing appartus lead one male, aged in his 20s, to safety from heavily smoke logged premises. He was then given oxygen therapy by the crew and handed to care of paramedics for transport to hospital.

The fire crew extinguished the flames using a hose reel, which badly damaged the bedroom room of origin. They then ventilated the premises, which was heavily smoke logged, by use of a positive pressure fan.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of fire is believed to be smokers materials - initially starting in a bed in the property.