FIREFIGHTERS were called out to a fire in York's most famous street.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue say they got a call at 1.19am today (May 12) to Shambles in York city centre.

A spokesman for the service said: "A crew from York and one from Acomb attended a fire to a chopping board left on a cooker, which caused light smoking logging to a first floor flat.

"One person was treated by fire crews for smoke inhalation and left in the care of ambulance crews. Crews used two breathing appratus, one hose reel jet, thermal imaging, positive pressure ventilation fan, door breaker and ladder."