FIREFIGHTERS were called in after a dishwasher caught fire at a house in York.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue say they were called at 11.14am today to Huntington Road in York to reports of a house fire.

A spokesman for the service said that two crews attended and on arrival found a dishwasher was on fire.

He said: "The fire was confined to the kitchen and crews used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire and natural ventilation to remove smoke.

"The cause is believed to be an electrical fault."