An untended garden brazier set fire to a house in Thorpe Willoughby near Selby.

Hot embers from the brazier set fire to a nearby wooden bin store in the garden.

The fire then spread to a garden fence, then the roof of the house.

Two fire crews from Selby used breathing apparatus, two water jets, thermal imaging cameras, ladders and a salvage sheet to put out the blaze in the early hours of this morning.

The fire damaged the house's roof and timbers, as well as a neighbour's facia boards.

"The cause is believed to be careless use of a brazier," said a spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.