TWO people have been rescued from a burning house in York and taken to hospital.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said it was called to the property in Huntington Road at just after 10.30pm last night.

It said two crews arrived to find the garage of a house was well alight and had spread to the house, and a further two appliances were requested.

It said two people had been rescued from the property by a police officer prior to the fire crews' arrival and were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.