FIREFIGHTERS have dealt with a fire at a fish and chip shop in Selby town centre this morning (December 3).

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said it was an "accidental" fire in a chip pan at Abbey Fisheries on Gowthorpe.

The fire was contained to the fryer.

It was put out by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and a wet chemical extinguisher.

Crews isolated the gas line and ventilated the property using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Last year, the chippy was badly damaged in an arson attack.

The Press reported in July that a man had been jailed for six years after petrol bombing the shop.

The man was engulfed in flames himself and suffered severe burns to his hands as he fled from Abbey Fisheries.