AN ELDERLY woman suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a kitchen at a bungalow in York.

Fire crews were called to the incident off Hamilton Drive shortly after 8pm yesterday (September 10) and put out a small fire on a kitchen worktop.

They used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan to tackle the fire.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire fire service said: "The cause of the fire was due to candles being left unattended.

"An elderly female occupant was checked over by paramedics suffering from smoke inhalation."