TWO 600-year-old stained glass windows have been removed from York Minster as part of a major £11 million restoration.

The 11-year project to repair and maintain stone and stained glass in the cathedral’s South Quire Aisle, which dates from the late 1300s, originally began in 2016, with work to date focusing on replacing and conserving stonework.

Specialist conservators from York Glaziers Trust are now beginning work to protect the area’s medieval stained glass, and have started with the removal of two windows from the upper Clerestory level.

The windows date from the early 1400s and are 70ft from the ground.

Exposed to the elements for centuries, the glass has cracked and buckled in places and allows water in.

The windows are believed to have been created between 1404 and 1414 and tell the story of the triumph of Christianity in the North of England, and the crucial role played by York Minster.