AN ELDERLY man has been rescued by a neighbour from his smoke-logged home and taken to hospital after suffering minor burns.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said crews from Richmond, Leyburn and Reeth went to a property in Richmond yesterday evening, where a fire had started in the lounge.

A spokeswoman said a carpet was damaged by fire and there was heavy smoke logging.

"A male in his 80s was rescued by a neighbour from the property and suffered minor burns to his legs, with both casualties also taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation," she said.

She added that crews extinguished the fire, which had been started accidentally, and ventilated the building