FIREFIGHTERS have rescued a tortoise and a dog after a fire broke out in an East Yorkshire home.

Humberside Fire & Rescue Service said the blaze involved a heat mat in a vivarium in the kitchen of a terraced house in St Margarets Close, Driffield.

A spokeswoman said the adult female occupier was checked over and given oxygen by an ambulance crew, and there was fire damage to the kitchen and smoke logging to the conservatory and ground floor of the property.

She added that a smoke detector was fitted but did not activate because there were no batteries.