A CANDLE is being blamed for a fire which broke out in a flat in Selby last night.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said crews from Selby and Snaith tackled the blaze in the living room of a ground floor flat in Barlby Road at just after 7pm.

"This resulted in fire, heat and smoke damage to the living room and smoke damage to the remainder of the flat," said a spokesperson.

"Smoke detectors were fitted in the property and they activated."

The spokesperson said no one was in the flat at the time of the fire and two cats in the property were unharmed.

"The cause is believed to be a candle left unattended."