AUGUST 6, 1974: A view that no-one today will ever see again, looking out over the top of the Terry's factory at Clementhorpe towards the River Ouse. The tree-lined further bank of the river at St George's Field can be seen clearly in the top left of the photo.

The site of the Clementhorpe factory had originally been leased by Terry's in 1858, when the company was still mainly known for candied peel, medicated lozenges and other sweets. It was on the site of a former brewery, but a 'new' confectionery factory was built in 1862. In 1920 a larger, five-storey building was added and the factory continued to operate even after the business expanded to Bishopthorpe Road.

Ultimately, however, the Clementhorpe factory closed. A chimney was pulled down in 1974 (presumably not long after this photograph was taken) and the rest of the site was demolished in 1987.

Stephen Lewis