A WOMAN was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a flat in York this morning, which is believed to have been caused by "smokers materials."

Fire crews were called to the incident in the bedroom of a ground floor flat on Fourth Avenue at around 3.15am.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fire and heat damage was caused to an area of carpet and part of the mattress. One female with slight smoke inhalation has been taken to hospital for a precautionary check up.

"The cause is believed to be smoker's materials."

Crews used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.