A RESTAURANT and bar in York city centre were evacuated this morning after a fire broke out in the kitchens.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said firefighters were called at 11.20am to the Judge's Lodgings in Lendal, where fire had broken out in a frying range.

A spokeswoman said an extinguisher and fire blanket were used by staff to tackle the fire, but crews completed the work, and also ventilated the premises, which had been evacuated by staff.

Judge's Lodgings general manahger Nik Haywood said all guests and staff were safely and speedily evacuated, and the fre in the kitchen - which was caused by a technical fault in a fryer -was quickly brought under control.

"Although we won't be serving food for the rest of today, our bar and bedrooms will be open as normal, and we expect to be open as normal tomorrow and expect to be able to resume normal service from the kitchen," he said.