TWO people have been treated for smoke inhalation after a house fire in York this morning (October 17).

Crews were called to the fire in Glen Avenue, Heworth, at 7.45am.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said two occupants were out on arrival and treated at the scene by Yorkshire Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.

A spokeswoman for the fire service added: "The fire started in a bedroom and caused 80 per cent damage to that room, and 40 per cent smoke damage to the upstairs of the property."

Crews used two breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to put out the fire.

They ventilated the house using a positive pressure ventilation fan.