A LUCKY pet has made a full recovery after swallowing a whole wooden skewer.

Max is an 11-year-old cross-breed and became unwell after he ate the kebab stick at his owner’s home in Tadcaster.

His owner Katie Rushton - who rescued Max as a puppy - rushed him to the Minster Veterinary Practice in Copmanthorpe, and said everything had happened very quickly.

Katie took Max - who she describes as being full of character - into her home when he was six-months-old because his previous owner was unable to look after him.

She said: “The kebab stick was on the kitchen bench and fell onto the floor.

"Before I could pick it up, Max had sniffed it out and swallowed it whole.

“Max has been part of our family for many years.

"I was extremely worried about him and thought it best to seek advice from the vet.”

The vets in Copmanthorpe transferred Max to the main hospital in Salisbury Road for further tests, and a scan found the skewer was still completely intact and lodged inside Max’s stomach, and Katie and the vets made the decision to operate.

Vet Kirsty Catterall said: “An ultrasound was done to see if we could identify any blockage in Max’s stomach as he was showing discomfort around his abdomen area.

"Our main concern was that the kebab stick had perforated his stomach which would have been very serious.”

Kirsty said it was fortunate the skewer had not caused any internal damage, and the best course of action had been to surgically remove it under anaesthetic.

She said: “The surgery was successful and Max is now back home with his family.

“I would advise pet owners to always keep harmful objects out of reach.

"Even everyday household items can pose a threat to pets when eaten, so be extra vigilant and seek advice as soon as possible if your pet has eaten something it shouldn’t.”

Katie said: “I can’t thank the team at Minster Vets enough.

"They kept Max and myself calm and treated him quickly and professionally. Max is now home and has made a full recovery.”

Kirsty warned dog owners to take extra care around barbecues, and “if you suspect your dog has eaten something it shouldn’t, or is displaying symptoms such as lack of appetite, vomiting or diarrhoea, seek advice from your vet”.