A FIRE that broke out at a house in York yesterday (July 10) is believed to have started accidentally in a bedroom.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service crews were called to the blaze at a detached house in York Road, Haxby, at about 3.45pm.

Four crews attended - two from Huntington, one from York, and the aerial ladder unit from Harrogate - and put out the flames. They were damping down by 4.55pm.

The fire service said everyone was out of the house when crews arrived, and confirmed no-one was treated for smoke inhalation or other injuries.

It said the blaze was on the first floor and spread to the roof.

The fire caused severe damage to a first floor bedroom where it is believed to have started, and smoke and heat damage to the rest of the first floor, and roof, the fire service added.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: "We don't know the cause. We believe it was accidental but we are still investigating the actual source.

"The fire investigation officer has already been out. They are doing some further deliberations into the cause of it."