A FAMILY managed to escape unharmed after a fire broke out in their home in the early hours of this morning.

Three crews were called to the fire in a detached house in Moor Close, Killinghall, near Harrogate, at about 1.35am.

It is believed the fire started in a consumer board in a downstairs cloakroom.

A spokesman for North Yorkshire fire service said: "This resulted in fire, heat and smoke damage to the cloakroom and hallway and severe smoke damage to the remainder of the property. Fortunately smoke detectors were fitted, they activated and raised the alarm and the two adults and two children were able to escape from the property unharmed."

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera, triple extension ladder and hand tools to put out the fire.

"The cause is believed to be an electrical fault on the consumer board," the spokesman added.