TWO teenagers have been killed in a crash between three cars in North Yorkshire.

The boys, named locally as George Turner and Mason Pearson, both 17, died in the collision, which involved two cars on the A61 between Busby Stoop and Carlton Miniott near Thirsk last night.

Seven others, including two children, were taken to hospital following the crash, the force added.

Officers were called to the collision, which involved a green VW Bora and a black Ford Focus that was heading in the opposite direction towards Thirsk, at around 9.25pm yesterday.

A woman and a young child laid flowers at the scene of the crash this morning.

There are unconfirmed reports that the two teenage boys were students at Thirsk School and Sixth Form College. 

Another two passengers in the same vehicle, an 18-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy, are in a critical condition at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough and Leeds General infirmary respectively.

One of the firefighters who attended the scene of the tragedy discovered on his arrival that one of the seriously injured teenagers was his own son.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “On arrival crews assisted with the release of a number casualties, who were trapped, from one of the vehicles.  The causalities were then handed over to paramedics for transportation to hospital.

“We can confirm that the son of one of the firefighters who attended was involved in the incident, he is currently in a stable condition in hospital.”

North Yorkshire Police have not yet officially confirmed the identity of the teenagers.

The driver of the Ford Focus, a 27-year-old man from outside the area, was discharged from James Cook University Hospital following treatment. A passenger in the car, a 24-year-old woman, is receiving treatment at the hospital. A three-year-old girl and a six-month old boy have also been kept in hospital for observations as a precaution.

In total, there were seven land ambulances, an air ambulance and coastguard rescue helicopter in attendance at the incident, along with police and fire crews.

Messages on flowers left in the snow read: "RIP Boys, love you both lads. Forever in my thoughts, brothers for life" and "Rest in peace. Always in our heart and will never be forgotten."

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police said: "Police inquiries are ongoing into the collision and officers are appealing for witnesses to come forward to assist the investigation.

"In particular, anyone who witnessed the collision or who was travelling in the area at the time with dashboard cameras in operation prior to the collision is urged to contact them."

Thirsk ward councillor Gareth Dadd spoke of his shock over the incident.

He said: "This is heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking for the families involved and my heart goes out to all those involved.

"It is tragic for anybody, but people so young with their full life ahead of them makes it doubly tragic.

"And in terms of moving on, I just urge everbody to be calm and await the professional reports that will come."

The A61 was closed to allow emergency services to attend to the casualties and to allow collision investigators to examine the scene. It reopened at about 4.45am today.

Anyone who can help should phone North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option two, and ask for the Major Collision Investigation Team or email

Quote reference number 12180039673.