A MAN was taken to hospital with burns after a fire broke out in a flat in East Yorkshire.

Firefighters were called to the blaze in a first floor flat in St John's Avenue, Bridlington, at about 10.20am yesterday.

A spokesman for Humberside fire service said a mattress was involved in the fire and the blaze caused fire damage to the hallway.

The spokesman also said that one man was taken to hospital with burns to his feet and suffering from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels, a door breaker, thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation fan to deal with the fire.