A CAR fire in North Yorkshire last night is believed to have been caused by a wheelie bin "spontaneously combusting".

Fire crews were called to a fire outside a house in Ashbourne Road, in Boroughbridge, at about 9.30pm.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fire involved a Seat car and the cause of the fire is believed to have been a green waste wheelie bin spontaneously combusting after garden waste had been disposed of earlier in the day.

"Fire spread to vehicle causing minor fire damage."

The crews put out the flames using one hose reel.