THERE was a car fire in York on Friday afternoon.

Fire crews were called to Rowntree Avenue after a Skoda car caught fire, said a spokesman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The blaze, caused by an electrical fault, was out on arrival and crews made the vehicle safe by isolating the battery.

Crews also rescued two children and an adult from a lift at a property in York’s Parliament Street on Friday after it got stuck.

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said crews used specialist lift keys to release them.

Meanwhile, in Scarborough, firefighters provided first aid to an elderly man who had fallen in the street and hurt his head, before leaving the incident with paramedics.

A corn dryer on fire in a field at Holme on Swale was also extinguished by crews.