FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man and two dogs from car blaze in York.

Officers from the city was called to Brunswick Street at 5.31am today to tackle a fire in a Mitsubishi Shogun.

The man, who was in the car at the time of the fire, suffered slight smoke inhalation and received a precautionary check by paramedics at the scene.

Two dogs, who had also been in the car, were not injured.

The York crew used a hosereel jet to extinguish the fire, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

The Mitsubishi's engine suffered fire, heat and smoke damage.

Fred Thomas, 65, who lives in nearby, witnessed the fire.

He said: "I stopped people coming out of their houses.

"The fire crews said another couple of minutes and the car would have blown.

"It was a massive fire."

This is the second time in just over a month that Mr Thomas, who is a well-known local baker, has found himself at the scene of an emergency.

His appeal to find out what happened to a pensioner he performed CPR on featured on the front page of The Press.

Mr Thomas said: "I still don't know what happened to him."