DETAILS are emerging of how bus services round the city could fare in looming cuts which will slice £350,000 off subsidies in the next two years.

In February the city council budget included plans to "rationalise" the financial support the authority gives evening and weekend services, and to withdraw support completely from the orbital service 20 which circles the city from Acomb to Monks Cross to the university in Heslington.

Now officials are planning a public consultation to give people chance to have their say on the proposals, running from Monday, April 11 to Friday, May 6.

Cllr Ian Gillies, the council's executive member for transport and planning, said: "We’re working closely with bus operators to seek out opportunities for commercially sustainable bus routes to ensure this mitigates the loss of any services where possible.

"We welcome all feedback on the proposals so please let us know your views by Friday, May 6."

The council has said that after the review almost all areas ofYork which currently have a council subsidised service will still have a local bus link, although the operation may be reduced.

Some 20 per cent of the bus services in York are supported or subsidised by the city council, the remaining 80 per cent are entirely commercial.

Among the services which could be altered, reduced or withdrawn include three - the 627, 637, 647 - which serve Fulford School, Manor CE Academy, and Archbishop Holgate's CE Academy.

Also under threat is the 27, which runs down Fulford Road to the university, and rural and suburban routes to places like Skelton, Wheldrake, Elvington, Stamford Bridge, and Holme on Spalding Moor.

The bus routes under review are:

• Monday to Saturday daytime services: 12, 19, 20, 27, 36, 627, 637 and 647

• Evening services: 10, 11, 14, 18

• Sunday services: 11, 12, 13, 14,16a and 19

Views can be submitted to the council either by emailing or through drop-in sessions, with details to be announced soon. A final decision will be made by Cllr Gillies at a public on Thursday, May 19, and changes are expected come into force from the end of August.