A 98-YEAR-OLD Second World War firefighter has honoured his fallen comrades by donating a golf trophy in their memory.

Frank Fox was part of a York crew of auxiliary firefighters serving in the war, helping protect the city during the Blitz.

Mr Fox's colleagues and fellow York residents Arthur Broadhead and Sidney Thompson were both killed while tackling fires during bombing raids.

The pair were the only North Yorkshire firefighters to lose their lives during the conflict and Mr Fox has sought to honour their memory ever since.

His latest effort was to fund the Arthur Broadhead & Sidney Thompson Trophy for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service Sports and Social Club's golf section.

Members recently played for the trophy for the first time at Sandburn Hall Golf Club in Flaxton, with retired York Green Watch firefighter Mal Goodhall triumphing on 39 Stableford points.

Golf section secretary and Acomb Blue Watch crew manager Rob Goodman was second with 38 points.

Mr Goodman said: "Frank Fox is possibly the last remaining World War Two auxiliary firefighter still alive.

"Frank has only just stopped driving and played golf until about three years ago.

"He wanted to leave some money to our sports and social club, so we got the trophy made up with the names of Arthur Broadhead and Sidney Thompson on it."

Along with the sports and social club, Mr Fox also helps fund the upkeep of Mr Broadhead's grave at York Crematorium.

Mr Fox, who now lives in Cleveleys, near Blackpool, emailed Mr Goodman about his plan for the trophy, signing off with his old service number 134495.

He said: "Arthur was a member in our crew which was sent to Bootham Crescent during the air raid on April 29, 1942.

"We left our station when flares were in the air, so we knew that this was no exercise, which we had occasionally.

"We were setting up to attack a house fire when we were stopped by a bomb nearby. Arthur was blown to pieces.

"The pump operator, Fred Simpson, was badly injured, but I escaped with a slight wound to my thigh from a hot piece of shrapnel, and a dented helmet caused by a piece of brick, and concussion for a few days after.

"It is all burned into my subconscious mind and is vividly lodged there.

"Sidney Thompson was not killed at that time, but later when a midday bomb destroyed a warehouse on the other side of the river from where his fireboat was moored.

"He died from shrapnel wounds. Although he was not damaged during the big air raid, I thought he should be remembered as the only other fatality in North Yorkshire during the war."

Mr Fox added : "I am now 98 years old, and don't I know it. I am in general healthy, but my legs will not allow me to walk very far.

"I make good use of my mobility scooter. I suppose there are not many ex-firemen who served in the war, still living?"