A MAN will appear in court today charged with manslaughter following the death of a 21-yearold at the weekend.

Sam Wilson, from Haxby, died at the scene after he was hit by a passing taxi in Haxby Road in York at about 2am on Saturday, following a violent incident involving a group of young men.

Police were last night hunting for two men they urgently wanted to talk to.

Five people have already faced questions from police, and detectives have said they will not stop looking for the pair. They have told the two men to come forward immediately to talk to them about Mr Wilson’s death.

The court appearance relates to an incident at around 1.50am on Saturday in Haxby Road which resulted in Mr Wilson’s death after he was hit by a taxi. It is believed he had been involved in the violent incident shortly before being struck by the car.

A total of six people were arrested afterwards. A 22-yearold local man has since been released from custody and faces no further action while a 20-year-old woman, a 16-year-old girl and two 18-year-old men were yesterday released on bail.

Detective Inspector Andrea Kell, of York CID, said: “The men we are looking for know that we need to speak to them as a matter of urgency. I urge them to come forward and contact the police immediately. It is in their own best interests to do so, sooner rather than later.

“Officers have already visited a number of addresses to which the two men have links. They will continue to actively search for them until they have been traced.”

She added: “I urge anyone who can help us to trace them to contact the police straight away.”

Police were first called to Haxby Road, close to the Nuffield Hospital, just before 2am where violence had broken out among a group of young men.

A few minutes later, as police were on their way, a taxi driver called the emergency services to say his car had been in a collision with a pedestrian nearby in Haxby Road. Paramedics, firefighters and police officers rushed to the scene and tried to save Mr Wilson, but he died at the scene.

A stretch of Haxby Road near the Nuffield Hospital and Yearsley Bridge was closed for almost 12 hours on Saturday.