A FIVE-YEAR-OLD boy from York who went to the United States for pioneering cancer treatment is now clear of the disease.

Harvey Thompson, from Foxwood, underwent lifesaving radiotherapy treatment in America as part of a fight against a brain tumour.

The Woodthorpe Primary School pupil was found to have a tumour the size of an orange on his brain and he underwent an urgent 13-hour operation to remove it.

He went to Oklahoma earlier this year for a specialist form of radiotherapy called proton therapy to safely remove the final part of the tumour from his brain stem.

Now his delighted family has said a scan this week has confirmed Harvey is cancer-free.

Dave Thompson, Harvey’s dad, pictured, said: “He is doing really well. The first scan came back inconclusive so they scanned him again and we got the results saying it’s all-clear. Part of the tumour is still there but it’s not cancerous.

“He’s doing really well at school. He is a totally different child now he is back from America.”

Harvey was accompanied to the US by his father and grandfather Frank, while his mother Kerrie stayed in York to look after his two-year-old sister Savannah.

As reported previously in The Press, the Thompson family received financial help from the charity Kids ‘n’ Cancer UK - the same charity which has helped raise money in the high profile case of Ashya King - while they were in America.

This followed a dispute between trustees and Harvey’s family, over the money, which had been raised by well wishers to cover living costs for Harvey and his family while they were in America.

Now £13,200 from the money raised has gone to the Kids ‘n’ Cancer charity which, the family said, would be there to help should Harvey relapse.

As reported before there had been an allegation of theft from the trustees however a North Yorkshire Police spokesman said investigation had concluded and it had been found no offences had been committed.

Frank, Harvey’s grandfather, said they were incredibly grateful to the charity Kids ‘n’ Cancer for their help and to the local people who helped raise money in the first place.

He said: “We want to thank the people that did donate for their generosity and now Harvey is hopefully in the clear.”