A HUGE fire has broken out at Ferrybridge Power Station, causing the partial collapse of a tower at the site. 

Fifteen fire engines and two aerial ladder platforms are were in attendance at the blaze at the power station next to the A1, this afternoon. At about 7.30pm tonight, the fire was said to be under control.

Inspector Helen Brear of West Yorkshire Police said both the M62 and the A1 remain open despite the fire and heavy smoke, but Strangland Lane in Knottingley has been closed by police.

Insp Brear said: "Motorists are, however, advised to exercise caution on these roads and we will be continually monitoring the situation to see if any other roads need to be shut."

A plume of smoke can be seen in the surrounding area, prompting numerous phone calls to the fire service, with the fire first reported at about 2pm.

York Press:

(picture courtesy @ZxPhotography via Twitter)

West Yorkshire Fire Service said the third floor of a four storey building is ablaze at the power station, and teams from five local stations, including an aerial unit, have been sent to assist.

The fire service has confirmed that all staff at the plant had been accounted for, and nobody has been reported injured in the fire.

York Press:

(Picture courtesy @seba5sternik via Twitter)

York Press:

(Picture courtesy of @wintertrua via Twitter)

In a statement, the power station said: "At around 2.00pm today a serious fire impacted Units 3 and 4 of SSE's Ferrybridge C power station in West Yorkshire.  

"All persons on site have been accounted for and there are no reported injuries.  

"The company's practised emergency response procedures were immediately activated and we are currently in the process of ensuring the site is made secure and safe.

"The affected area in the site vicinity has been isolated by police and the West Yorkshire Ambulance Service hazardous area response team are also present. West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service remains in attendance and is dealing with the incident with support from SSE engineers.

"West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has indicated the fire is now being brought under control.  Due to planned maintenance neither of the affected units had been operational over the summer and therefore had not been supplying power to the National Grid at the time of today's incident.

"SSE will be undertaking an investigation to establish the full extent of damage in due course.  Early indications show the fire itself started in unit 4 but also had some impact on Unit 3.  Currently we do not expect Unit 4 to return to service in this financial year.  Unit 3 is not expected to return to service before 1 November. Our immediate priority is to manage the incident and to ensure the safety of staff, contractors and the general public."